Your body is smart. Let’s make sure that we give your body the best chance to fight against the flu or cold. In addition to social distancing and proper handwashing, what other ways can you be proactive about your health? Here are 6 ways to help your body fight off the flu this season.
- Drink plenty of pure water. Staying hydrated does not include coffee, tea or juice. Your body needs pure water to function properly. To determine the specific amount of fluid ounces, you need to drink at a minimum, simply divide your body weight in pounds in half. For example, a person weighing 150 should drive 75 fluid ounces of water. Tap water must be filtered as it often contains harmful chemicals. Our bodies are made mostly of water and staying hydrated allows the body to flush out toxins and bugs.
- Boost your immune system with nutritional supplements. At Tolk Wellness Center, our doctors can help you find specific nutritional supplements that will help you present and knock down the cold or flu. Top ingredients to boost the immune system and vitamin C, vitamin D3, Zinc, Oregano of Echinacea, elderberry, and astragalus. Schedule an appointment to get muscle tested for what your body needs.
- Use essential oils. The easiest way to use an essential oil diffuser throughout the home. We also recommend a foot or body bath with unscented Epsom salt. Top essential oils for colds include eucalyptus, oregano, peppermint, rosemary, lemon and tea tree. At Tolk Wellness Center, we carry Doterra Essential oils as a trusted brand that is ingestible as well.
- Avoid sugar at all costs. Sugar can weaken your immune system and increase inflammation, which will reduce your ability to fight infections. Avoid dairy, juices, refined and processed carbohydrates like bread, pasta, rice, cookies, and crackers because they break down into sugar in the body.
- Stay active. Light to moderate exercises to help relieve stress and boost the immune system, prevent lymphatic congestion and feel energized. We recommend at least 30 minutes per day of walking and stretching. Keep things light and do not overtrain if you are fighting an infection.
- Get plenty of rest. During deep sleep is when the body heals. Sleep deprivation and poor sleeping habits create a compromise to the immune system, causing the body to be more susceptible to infections. At Tolk Wellness Center, we recommend taking a dropper of Vitalibis oils to help your body relax and allow you to sleep better.